2020 Summer of Caring
Helping those in need during challenging times
June – August 2020
In 2020, we pivoted our annual Day of Caring to adhere to COVID-19 guidelines – the program was spread over 3 summer months, and 35 volunteers helped 17 local seniors with routine yardwork!
Can we count on you to help your neighbor in 2021? United Way seeks Coos County and Curry County individuals and cohabitating families to help local seniors, people with disabilities, and other residents in need of assistance with routine yardwork this summer.
- Volunteers will be matched to households in need on an individual basis.
- United Way will provide masks, hand sanitizer, basic first aid kits, and work gloves.
- Volunteers should be able to provide their own transportation and lawncare tools. Tasks may include lawnmowing, weed whacking, brush cutting, raking, and cleaning gutters.
- Volunteers will be entered into a drawing for a $50 gift certificate to a local restaurant or business.
- Teams of 8 or less will be considered for projects where 6’ social distancing is possible.
Contact Us to volunteer!
WHO qualifies for help? Coos County and Curry County seniors, people with disabilities, and other residents in need of assistance may qualify. Applicants must own their own home and have homeowner’s insurance. Applicants should have yardwork projects that can be completed by 1-2 volunteers during a 2-3 hour time frame. To see if your household qualifies, please Contact Us. Inquiries for help will be taken starting May 15, 2021. Projects will be assigned according to volunteer availability.
Thank you to our 2020 Summer of Caring sponsors and supporters:
- Coquille Tribal Community Foundation
- The Eugene and Marlaina Johnston Foundation
- The Rural Community Builder Network
- Southwestern Oregon Workforce Investment Board
- Oregon Pacific Bank
- Umpqua Bank
- K-DOCK 92.9FM
Visit Southwestern Oregon Workforce Investment Board’s volunteer matchmaking system to sign up for additional volunteer opportunities: https://www.sowib.org/volunteers